Sunday, October 1, 2017

HBC Troubles: Scott's "Note to My Flock"

By now the following is old news and it was sent a number of people in the community group Scott led, at least those who inquired of him following that Tuesday night meeting held in his absence. This was Scott attempting to present his side.

We withheld judgment, but he was a lot more straight with his words than what we got from the elders. He raised some good questions, some of which we hadn't considered. Still, I would have preferred things be presented more directly.It has a feeling of sowing doubts with the hope of provider answers to pry people away. I'm sensitive to that.

This statement sent off a lot of alarm bells:

Even if you knew all the truth and all the facts and saw all the emails, there is nothing you could do about it. You can probably not affect change. Two elders tried and where are they now?

Later I understood he wasn't referring to just the emails specific to this event. He had an archive of his history as an elder, and a fair amount of communication to back up a number of his claims as to how the elder board functions. Including what really happened to the first elder. It would be a month before I saw those, though.

Scott also names names, and gives a timeline of events. Right or wrong, this is how the elders should have addressed it. That they didn't was a big red flag. I couldn't help wonder if this was them hiding, while Scott, the apparent defector, wasn't.

Even so much detail was still left out, I found. Horrifically, Tom Leake would take portions of this email and reference them, attempting to counter each, choosing the unfortunate risk of placing obfuscatory language next to straightforward language. The armchair tactician in me understood this to be a dumb move, no matter who was in the right, because it would normally make Scott look more right.

And this side of the story explains Scott's absence, rather than cowardice it was known that he would be out of town until Wednesday. So Tuesday night is then a choice of the elders? The questions are legitimate, why not pick up a phone? These are things normal people do. Unless you're trying to railroad someone out... we keep coming back to that possibility.

And of course, I'm now fairly certain that's what they tried, and they got caught doing it.




Good Morning Dear Friends,

I have been praying and thinking about what to say to you all. My heart is broken over the events of this week but none of this has happened in a vacuum. This is really the culmination of much turmoil and confusion dating back well over 2 years but which was significantly accelerated in the last 2-3 weeks.

And, if you attended the church-wide meeting on Tuesday evening, you may not have heard completely accurate information so I feel I owe you some truth. Before I clarify some specific issues that I think were misrepresented Tuesday, I would ask you to simply ponder the following questions.

Questions you might want to ponder:

Do you find it odd that Rod would go to a different place of worship with his family when there is not a paid ministry position, or even an elder position or even any type of leadership position?

 Do you find it odd that he would uproot his family from the church that his daughters have grown up in and take them to a different church when there is likelihood that they might soon turn around and go to yet another church if he gets hired for a paid position?

Do you find it odd that he left very suddenly?

Do you find it odd that 2 elders left within days of each other?

If you do find all of this odd, then don't you have to ask yourself if the reasoning given behind his leaving is really plausible? That is Rod’s story and not mine to tell. I am just asking if you find these things odd.

Did you know that HBC has had a total of 7 elders in 20 years? To date, 3 resigned very suddenly, 1 “retired” (you will have to ask him why), and 1 is brand new. Do you think that says anything about HBC leadership or how the elder board functions? (Some of you may have been at HBC when Charlie Jolly stepped down as elder.)

Even if you knew all the truth and all the facts and saw all the emails, there is nothing you could do about it. You can probably not affect change. Two elders tried and where are they now?

Some specific answers to your questions:

Did I inform the other elders of my decision to step down before informing the Delta community and the HBC members?

Yes, absolutely and I have the emails to prove that. I cannot know if every elder saw my email to them before my other emails went out but the timeline is as I stated. And, I knew that as soon as I stepped down my HopeBook access would be suspended and my gmail account would be gone so I did send out the additional 2 emails right on the heels of informing the elders. As predicted, they were both gone, I was essentially erased, before noon on Monday.

Is there a connection between my leaving and Rod’s leaving?

Yes, absolutely. Not for the exact same reasons but based on how Rod was treated over the past 2-3 weeks and how I was dealt with on Sunday evening and into Monday by Pastor Leake, after accusations were made against me by some fellow Delta members, I could see what I thought was the handwriting on the wall.

Did 2 people from Delta ask to speak to me on Sunday and I refused? Did I refuse to meet with the elders?

No, absolutely not. Elias came to me right after church and demanded 15 minutes of my time immediately. Teresa and I were leaving on a trip right after church so I asked Elias if I could text him when we arrived at our destination (5 hours away in Bradford, PA) and set up a time to talk by phone. He agreed, I texted him, but before we could speak on the phone (he had already told me that he wanted to talk about what happened in community), I received an email from PL demanding that I attend a meeting on Tuesday to discuss “The discussion that Scott started in community”. It was clear that misinformation was already being spread about me, about what happened in community etc., presumably by Elias and maybe Roger, although Roger never talked to me, only Elias.

I immediately sent a long, detailed email to the elders about the facts of how the discussion started in community (from a question Suzanne Young raised about the future of the communities that she had heard from PL when, unbeknownst to me, he had visited the Beaudoin flock). Some of you may not have even heard that question as it was noisy in the sanctuary and soft-spoken Suzanne was sitting near the very front of the room, well in front of most of you I think.

I wanted to clarify all that happened and exactly what was said. I told the elders that we were out of town through Wednesday and would be unable to meet. I did not “refuse to meet” as has been stated. If you were in community last Sunday, you know how things progressed from there. One interesting thing to me is that Roger and Elias both arrived after community started and could have had no actual idea of how the discussion started. You probably do recall how Elias aggressively responded to a statement that Ann made during the discussion. Roger also responded in a more congenial way to clarify what he saw as the different gifting of the different elders.

My email to the elders with all the facts and details had no impact and I was told I needed to get to a meeting where PL was going to present 3 witnesses against me. To me it looked like step 2 of Matthew 18 (PL disagrees with this, says it was a 1 Timothy 5 situation). Either way, I expressed my feeling of offense and being disrespected as a fellow elder and asked the question; “Why could you have not picked up the phone and called me and asked Scott, what in the world went on in your community today?” before firing off such an email. I felt totally attacked, and disrespected, and I had had all I could take. I was not going to end up like Rod and after prayer and discussion with Teresa, decided to submit my resignation. You also have to know that I did not make this decision without counsel from at least 4 other men. I have many emails establishing a very clear timeline and the full truth to support everything I am saying to you.

Will the elder board (or PL) require that if another pastor is hired at HBC, that that man be a “master’s seminary grad”?

The simplest way to get a true answer to that question would be to say to the elders; “Please share the job description with the congregation”.

I know there may be more questions in your mind about all of this and there is so much more that could be said. I am heartbroken, deeply grieved, and sorry for how all of this played out. In my view this has been a long-time coming and the events of the last 3 or so weeks brought things to a head more quickly than anticipated.

I ask for your prayers for me and my family as we will be praying for you. God knows the future, I don’t. What I do know is that Teresa and I desire to stay involved in your lives, with you in ours, and that will not change.

Love and abundant blessings,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment